Workshop: Mobilizing Youth for Leadership in the Church & Mission
Who are the leaders of tomorrow in our churches, and what are we doing to develop them today? What are some of the obstacles we face? Leaders from four continents, representing many cultures, gathered to engage these questions today. The similarities in our responses was amazing. We share common desires and common struggles in developing young leaders.
- We desire for our youth to put Jesus first in their lives, but we struggle to model that well.
- We desire for them to be “on fire” for Jesus, but we struggle with their impulsiveness.
- We desire for them to have strong faith, but we struggle to let them take faith-building risks.
- We desire for them to be church leaders…down the road…when they’re more mature and experienced, but we struggle to let them gain that experience by practicing on us.
- Include young people in the life of the church from an early age.
- Create opportunities for young people to lead, and let them make mistakes.
- Encourage life-long learning experiences for youth, such as TREK and other missions experiences.
- Serve together, adults and youth side by side.
- Be adults who mentor, encourage, invite input and questions, and support young people.
- Be humble, willing to acknowledge the Holy Spirit’s leading in a young person’s life, and surround them with a discerning community.